Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Tagging the first lambs...




One day off this wk to catch up a few things.
Finally got around to catching lambs and tagging them with their permanent ID numbers ( mandatory ) I tag the ewe lambs in the same ear with the males in the opposite ear so at a quick glance I can tell what is what...comes in handy when sorting in a crowded pen when selling later this year. ( I like to keep back a few ewe lambs for replacements )
I use the Ketchum metal tag, which I have the best luck with the sheep not losing them. I decided to leave tails on since mainly hair coats have been born.
I may go back and dock the wool coated ones in a few wks when I band some of the boys.
So far we dont have to record DOB's online for each lamb like we do with Cattle...but each farm or acreage with sheep ( no matter if just a hobby )
has to have a Premise ID registered. This is recorded on the new Livestock Manifest that *must go with each group of sheep leaving your farm be it
just going to pasture , the abbatoirs or auction market etc.
With the Age Verification program in Cattle...each calf born has to be recorded in an online data base along with it's permanent ID number and DOB
( another project to catch up on once we process the cattle this spring for each calf born )
There are penalites for non- compliance and shoddy paperwork. The red tape is growing AND ongoing for livestock producers and I'm not sure they
see the increased standards of this paper trail bringing in a better dollar for their product....it's alot of work for that once a year pay check.

No comments:

Post a Comment