Wednesday, October 28, 2009

New Chore Dog...


Sold the pen of calves so just have a few bulls in one pen for chores besides my small flock of sheep until the cows come home from the pasture ( no snow cover yet so we can leave them out for awhile )
So not much of anything for chores except it frees up a pen to bring the sheep in over the winter for training. Havent quite gotten back into the training groove since Nationals...but have been using Sting for my sheep chores ( I try and do a training session before feeding them )

Actually is quite enjoyable to be working a dog that is so biddable...no arguements with her. Still overflanks some but blocks and pushes out nicely...still have to make sure the block doesnt flip her 'away' from stock instead of squaring up....have to watch my timing on that one. We can work the entire flock with her. After the training session her job is to watch the gate so feed can be brought through and then hold the sheep off the hay feeder so it can be all forked in. It's a treat not to have to babysit those two jobs with a green dog as I go about the chore part.

I come away from each session with a smile on , I'm going to have so much fun with her:)!

photo taken in spring

No comments:

Post a Comment