Saturday, November 7, 2009

Job starts at the gate....






































Almost wishing for some snow cover to cover all the drab brown/drought looking landscape...looking pretty sad this time of year but has been wonderful weather for working dogs.
Took a series of pictures of Quade pushing sheep off the gate for me so I can come in with grain and not have sheep on top of me...they really are rude creatures that have no respect for your personal space so a dog sure is handy for bringing in feed. I use Quade for the bull pen as well as they are too darn quiet and can easily knock you around with a butt of their heads.
I have Quade park the sheep in the middle of the small sheep pasture I have here and hold them for several minutes...then I get him to re-push them down farther to the end of pasture, hold them and then
call him off to flank him around....he didnt release his stock in the picture so is tight on his flank in the picture. There's a few draws which he covers when the sheep lean.
I'm hoping tomorrow I'll have more time to take the flock out in the neighbors stubble field for some OLF exerces
as no fences / bigger area to work....see we need to do some work there.

Now if work would calling me to fill shifts with all this decent fall weather ....I'll be more than happy.







1 comment:

  1. Awesome pictures Cathy......he sure is doing some NICE work for you!!

    ReplyDelete