Sunday, November 8, 2009

Respecting space....

Today wish I had my camera with me to capture the progress Sting is making in her lessons, was so pleased in how it ended.
Started out with the plan to work on our sends (release to stock on my terms ) since she blew her first stay yesterday. No problems in that department today.

The lessons ended up being A) reminding my sheep I have a personal space as well to help B) Sting steady up on her stock. My flock of sheep basically have a small flight zone to be worked but need a lesson every so often that if the dog is being right that they dont need to mow you over. Sting is for the most part kind to her stock , no cheap shots / gripping / flossing her teeth...she'll shoulder bump if coming through a tight spot ie) bringing sheep off the fence line

Our lessons have been on the fence to working across the short end of the pasture and ending on balance either on the fence or in the open. I wanted to work on moving the flock down the long fence line and starting Sting in the 'lift' position, only got tripped up and mowed over pretty well from the get go with the sheep...Sting was patiently waiting for me to release her.... ( good girl )

( Sheep lesson is a couple of 'taps' on the leaders nose and if 'they choose' to run into my swinging stick after that...they dont make too many following...However you have to keep the dog out of their space so they are rewarded for appropriate behaviour , it's like a promise that if they are good, you make sure the dog is being good & vice versa ...goes along ways to keep stock from getting sour)

One rake tossed/speared in the space 'infront' of Sting was enough to help her ... after that just needed to raise it to 'touch' her eye and put it back in neutral and walk a nice pace. We had success going up and down the fence line with some really nice work without walking backwards ... couldnt have been happier with the progress we are making.
However tomorrow is always another day and I look forward to what we have instore for us.
Definately having a blast with Sting.

No comments:

Post a Comment